Wednesday 19 September 2012

Haikus/Show Don't Tell (School Assignment)

For my school assignment, I have to post two haikus about our 6-day school trip at Bamfield. (September 9-14)
Haikus are poems that go in a pattern.
5 Syllables
7 Syllables
5 Syllables
Example:
The lovely sun sets,
the dark ocean waves goodnight,
heavenly I sleep
Haikus are very complex poems that are very hard to make. You need to know a lot of words, which is why I use a dictionary/thesaurus.

Haiku 1
Rocking back and forth
Getting drenched in salt water
The Alta Was Fun
By the way, the Alta is the name of a boat we were on, travelling and exploring on the Pacific. What I felt was really fun was getting soaked. Watching the sea lions, hearing barks and growls.



Haiku 2
"Look, there's a whale!"
Scurrying over, I look
Where could it have gone?
Everytime, on the Alta, they said there was a whale. But for some reason, it never appeared before my eyes. I think that whale doesn't like me. I love animals, and I would feel bad if I do something to them. There were many kinds of marine life to see (sea cucumbers, starfish and crabs).

Bamfield: Show Don't Tell (Show Don't Tell: Helping a reader visualize with words)
The sun sinks in my sky, scarlet barely paints it's way in the edge of my sight. The dark-haunting trees twitch in utter silence. A white-siver light irresistibly flashes and vanishes in a distance, from the sinister-toppling trees. The faint sound of drifting growls run across my head. The tiny-minature stars pull me inside-out, sheer cold freezing me. The sea of navy blue crumbles over the horizon, gently and slowly. The growls race in my head again, now barking. The barks chills me with the wind. I stand on the balcony, of the Rix Center, that overlooks what could soon be my fate, wearily frightening.

Bamfield Reflection
Bamfield was the best camping trip out of all grades. As you can tell about my haikus on the Alta, the Alta was the best part of the trip. I can just imagine myself still on the boat, how it goes back and forth, fighting against those harsh, devouring waves. There were many to see: bioluminescence, sea lions, whales, sea cucumbers, sea weed and pretty much everything you find that could be in the ocean. It's a very great experience to just learn about our marine neighbours. The best marine critter that I like is the sea cucumber. There's so much about it, people are surprised by it's defences and how it survives. It's very squishy and spits out mucous (a very slimy liquid) to defend itself against predators and enemies. I am back at school now and love Bamfield.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger