Thursday 4 October 2012

Half Brother By Kenneth Oppel (School Assignment)

Although I have talked about the book before, but this is for a school assignment.


Is it even possible to have a monkey as a brother? Brown-furry creatures, they would terrorize our homes!

Half Brother is a very melodious book written by Canadian author, Kenneth Oppel.  Oppel writes about the atypical life of Ben Tomlin. His new brother Zan is a monkey. No, I didn’t say he acts like one, he IS one. Ben’s mom and dad brought the chimp home to see if Zan, the monkey, can learn human sign language and the human life.


I found out about the book from my librarian, who said that she thought the book Half Brother was a very good book. She said it should get a little more attention. Orange and black cover, it does stand out from the rest.

I wanted to read this novel because I wanted to see how the Ben’s life would be with his new brother. With a new brother, Ben is a little jealous. It’s a little awkward to have a monkey-brother, though.  Can you imagine having a monkey in the house? It’d be awesome…. yet a crazy household.

I’ve just heard about the book. With all the books in the library, I’ve never heard of this one. My librarian said it’s great, so I’m pretty sure it has to be great to read. (Crossing my fingers here)

I have saw in a review that this person had wished Kenneth Oppel had given Ben Tomlin, the main character that narrates, a more distinctive voice. Saying purposely plain, this reader thinks teens are sharper than Ben. 

This book is very interesting, as a normal life isn’t exactly normal anymore. Without telling him, Ben has to live with Zan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger